Holiday Chocolate Peppermint Smoothie Recipe
Written by: Spencer Higgs - Dec. 7, 2020
As autumn eases into winter, the change in seasons is often accompanied by changes in everything from fashion to flavor. And from the northeast to the southwest, arguably no change is more apparent than the culinary shift from pumpkin spice to peppermint. But whether you’re bundling up by a fire or starting your day in the warm embrace of the SoCal sunshine, you’ll love this mint chocolate shake. It’s cool, rich, refreshing taste makes it the perfect chocolate peppermint smoothie to help you through the heavy meals of the holidays and beyond.
And, unlike most chocolate peppermint smoothie recipes, this one calls for collagen, perhaps the best ingredient for defying age and maintaining mobility. A premium collagen powder can also go a long way in the weight-loss fight, and this particular mint chocolate shake is great for staving off unhealthy cravings.
So get your blender out and get ready to make the chocolate peppermint smoothie of the season!
Why Add Collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies and supports the tissue network that the body relies on to function properly. It’s also what gives our hair, skin, and nails a youthful, healthy appearance.
Collagen is naturally occurring, but between your late 20s and early 30s, your body dramatically reduces production of it. So when you hear someone lament, “Oh, I feel my age,” what they’re really telling you is they feel the lack of collagen. You can avoid—or at least postpone—such a fate by adding a scoop or two of Super Youth Unflavored collagen to your chocolate mint shake. Here’s why I recommend Super Youth over other collagen brands for this chocolate peppermint smoothie:
- Multi-type collagen peptides—Super Youth is a multi-collagen blend with five types of premium collagen peptides. This means your body receives support in five different yet important ways. Sadly, most collagen brands have just one type.
- Thicker hair—Super Youth helps increase your hair’s volume and thickness, thanks to ample Type I collagen. 
- Smooth wrinkles— Super Youth’s bounty of Type III collagen helps improve skin elasticity, keeping your skin firm and reducing wrinkles..
- Stronger bones & joints—Another collagen type in Super Youth is Type II, which helps improve joint pain and mobility. [2, 3] Remember this when we talk about mint chocolate protein shake benefits later.
- Better digestion—Because collagen contains glutamine and glycine (two amino acids) it helps improve digestive health. 
Benefits Of Peppermint?
Another way this mint chocolate shake helps defy age is with peppermint. Peppermint has been used for centuries in traditional medicines, and is recognized today as a surprisingly healthy little herb. 
Here’s why peppermint helps make this mint chocolate shake so healthy:
- Mighty antimicrobial and antiviral agent. Peppermint helps your body kill off, or stunt the growth of, harmful microorganisms, similarly to how antibacterials work against bacteria, or how antifungals fight fungi.
- Powerful antioxidants. Obesity, poor diets, pollution, and other toxins can lead to oxidative stress, which can eventually lead to cell damage. When that happens, it opens up a Pandora’s box of potential health issues. Antioxidants, such as those found en masse in peppermint, help prevent, or at least delay, certain types of cell damage. 
- Antitumor properties. Peppermint also contains anti-tumor agents.  Which means this mint chocolate shake, to some degree, can help prevent or attack certain tumors.
- Anti-allergies. When they strike, allergies can completely wipe you out. But many people find relief in peppermint. Along with mint essential oil, try drinking this chocolate mint shake to subdue your sneezing and runny nose.
- Soothe gastrointestinal issues. From an upset stomach to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), peppermint can help reduce many GI issues. 
Chocolate Peppermint Smoothie With Protein
The great thing about this chocolate mint shake is that it’s basically a protein shake too. Each scoop of Super Youth collagen contains seven grams of protein, equivalent to 14% percent of your recommended daily intake. You can double the amount of protein with a second scoop for a protein punch without any traceable taste.
Going for a chocolate mint shake with Super Youth earns you twice the benefits at once: protein to build and repair muscle, plus collagen to keep muscles and joints in good health.
Here’s the nutritional information for this mint chocolate shake:
Calories: 120 calories
Sugar: 7g (natural)
Chocolate Peppermint Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 scoop Super Youth Unflavored collagen
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup ice
- Optional: Whipped cream, mint, & peppermint candy topping
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a cup, add toppings, and enjoy!