How To Make A Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake (Using The Microwave!)
Written by: Samantha Wasielewski - Jan. 4, 2021
Like most, the holiday season is my favorite time of year—and it isn’t because I still get some pretty awesome presents from my parents. Although that does help, it’s because my creative cook comes out in all the best ways!
This year’s star recipe at the top of the tree? Chocolate mug cake! A scrumptious chocolate lovers dream, this chocolate mug cake recipe is a healthy alternative for those needing their holiday treat fix! The best part? You can simply pop it in the microwave for a quick, easy, and sweet tooth-satisfying snack!
What Is A Mug Cake?
Mugs are now for more than just your coffee! Take your mug-using game to a whole new level with chocolate mug cake! A mug cake is a single-serving cake that you can make in the microwave, using your favorite coffee mug!
How someone thought to put a cake inside a mug is beyond me, but I thank them a trillion times over! 🙏.
3 Reasons To Make A Mug Cake
Letting mug cake into your life is probably one of the best ideas you’ll have all year, I’ll explain why below…
- Improves portion control— Because chocolate mug cake is a single serving, your portion control goals will thank you. Getting your cake fix in with any other regular cake leaves room for second helpings. Mug cake is an excellent alternative for anyone looking to eat a little less while still staying satisfied.
- Healthier alternative to regular cake—Now, I won’t knock regular cake too much, because it is, unfortunately, uber delicious. But it also comes with tons of unwanted calories and loads of sugar. This chocolate mug cake recipe is the perfect substitute for staying on track with your weight loss goals, while giving your taste buds the treat they crave. Chocolate mug cake contains no added sugar, and the single serving size has less calories than your traditional slice of cake.
- High in protein—Chocolate mug cake is packed with filling protein, can your cake do that? That’s because I’ve added Super Youth collagen to this mug cake for added skin-smoothing, tummy-filling benefits. Collagen, of course, is what makes our skin smooth and wrinkle free. It also contains more filling protein than just regular protein, so you stay fuller for longer without even trying!
How To Make A Chocolate Mug Cake
In just seven short minutes you’ll be enjoying some of the best cake you’ve ever tasted, in the microwave! Yes, you read that right, just seven minutes is all it takes to make chocolate mug cake. I like to call it seven minutes in heaven, because those seven minutes are an exciting anticipation for my taste buds, and my waistline!
So, I hope you enjoy this healthy alternative to cake, even if it makes your coffee just a little bit jealous!
1 mug cake
5 min mins
2 min mins
7 min mins
Chocolate Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop Super Youth unflavored collagen
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips or hazelnut spread
- Add dry ingredients to a small bowl and mix.
- Whisk in milk & vegetable oil until ingredients are combined and the batter has no clumps. Pour batter into a microwave-safe mug.
- Add hazelnut spread or chocolate chips in the middle of the batter and microwave for 70 seconds on high. Please note that ALL microwaves are different and can yield different results. Cook time may vary depending on your microwave.
- Carefully remove from the microwave & enjoy!