How to Make Creamy Chicken & Chickpea Soup
Written by: Samantha Wasielewski - Feb. 15, 2021
While chickpea soup is a lesser-known soup than say, chicken noodle, tomato, or even minestrone soup, it has just as much nutritional value and shouldn’t be shrugged off so easily! They’re packed with powerful nutrients and loaded with healthy benefits—and when it’s made right, the flavor is simply unmatched. So, if you’ve ever been disappointed with chickpea soup in the past, you’re doing it wrong. This healthy chickpea soup recipe is sure to change your mind and opinions about chickpea soup, and I guarantee you’re going to love it!
Ingredients In Chickpea Soup
The superstar ingredient in chickpea stew? Why, it’s chickpeas of course! Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are a type of legume that are packed with protein. I’ll get into the amazing benefits of chickpeas in a little bit, but first, let’s talk about some of the other ingredients you’ll love in this chickpea soup recipe.
With chicken breast and Super Youth collagen, you’ve got tons of healthy protein to keep you strong and feeling full. This chickpea stew also contains sweet potatoes that provide healthy, fiber-rich carbs to your diet.
There’s also peanut butter in this chickpea stew. Yes, peanut butter! Adding peanut butter to chickpea soup not only gives it an oh-so-creamy texture, but also gives it a surprisingly scrumptious pop of flavor.
How To Make Chickpea Stew
With so many fresh ingredients, you’ll be surprised to hear that this chickpea soup recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep! And chances are, you probably have most of the ingredients at home already! This particular chickpea soup makes four servings and is ready for you in less than an hour. It’s a perfect meal for a family dinner and a great addition to your meal prep menu!
Chickpea Soup Health Benefits
- High in micronutrients—Chickpea stew packs a ton of nutrients. Chickpeas are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They also contain protein, iron, copper, folate, and manganese. (1)
- Packed with protein—This chickpea soup recipe is a protein triple threat. You’ve got chicken breast for protein power number one, chickpeas, which contains 3 grams of protein per 1-ounce serving, and Super Youth collagen with a more filling protein than most to help aid in weight loss.
- Contains anti-aging ingredients—This chickpea stew is not only hearty, healthy, and delicious, but it also has a secret youth-activating ingredient—Super Youth collagen! Adding collagen into your diet can help reduce stretch marks and wrinkles, smooth out cellulite, and grow thicker, stronger hair and nails.
10 min mins
40 min mins
50 min mins
Creamy Chicken & Chickpea Chicken Soup
- 1 tsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup light coconut milk (from the can)
- 2 tbsp all natural creamy peanut butter
- 4 scoops Super Youth unflavored collagen
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- To garnish: fresh cilantro and green onions
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, ginger, jalapenos and chicken breast. Brown chicken for 3-4 minutes, then stir in onion, red pepper and sweet potato cubes.
- Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes begin to slightly soften and chicken is no longer pink; this should take no longer than 5-7 minutes. Add in turmeric; stirring to coat the chicken and veggies.
- Next add in the following: chicken broth, chickpeas, peanut butter, coconut milk, salt and pepper, & Super Youth. Stir to combine, then bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. If you want more heat, add in a few dashes of hot sauce.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cilantro and green onions. Serves 4.