Low-Calorie Air Fryer Zucchini Chips With Garlic Aioli Dipping Sauce
Written by: Samantha Wasielewski - Apr. 26, 2021
Air frying your food is the newest cooking trend that’s taking the internet (and your food) by storm—and for good reason! Air frying is a great alternative to getting your food crispy, crunchy, and oh-so-delicious, without the excess calories. You see, the reason why so many fried foods are unhealthy is because they are deep fried in oil, which adds a surplus of calories and saturated fat to your diet. Air frying, on the other hand, uses hot air to cook your food and give it the same crispy finish you’d get with traditional frying.
If I’ve just piqued your interest, then you’ll be excited to try this double-healthy version of a fried classic—air fryer zucchini chips! When I say double healthy, what I really mean is that we’re not only ditching the oil with traditional deep frying, but we’re swapping out potatoes (a higher-carb vegetable) with zucchini (a low-carb, low calorie alternative)! As an added bonus we’re making a delicious garlic aioli dipping sauce that is packed with protein and adds a ton of flavor to this already delicious side dish!
What Is Air Fried Zucchini?
As I mentioned before, air fried foods are a lot healthier than traditional deep fried foods. But, what is air fried zucchini? Well, air fried zucchini is zucchini that has been cooked and crisped in an air fryer. This is a cooking appliance that you can get online or at your neighborhood department store, like Walmart or Target. Pick up a few zucchinis, cut them up into slices or wedges, add the seasonings mentioned in the recipe below, crisp them up, and boom! You’ve got air fryer zucchini chips that taste so good, your kiddos might not even realize they’re not real chips!
How To Make Zucchini Chips: Air Fryer
Zucchini chips, air fryer style, take only 15 minutes to make, and are a perfect healthy side dish that pairs well with just about anything. You can cut your air fryer zucchini chips into slices so they mimic potato chips, or you can cut them into sticks, like fries. Either way, your family will love the satisfying crunch that air fried zucchini brings to the dinner table.
After slicing your zucchini, combine your bread crumbs, grated parmesan, and spices in a bowl. Then dredge the zucchini in egg, roll them into your bread crumb mixture, and place them on a baking sheet. Cook the air fryer zucchini chips for 10 minutes and you’ve got a superstar side dish ready to go!
See the full recipe below for how to make air fryer zucchini chips, along with some alternative ingredients you can use to make them even healthier.
Perks Of Using An Air Fryer
While I’ll admit that I’m a fan of fried food, my diet shakes its head at me every time I hit the drive-through for some fries. Cooking in an air fryer is a great alternative to getting your fried food fix, without the excess calories, fat, and grease. If you haven’t picked up an air fryer for yourself yet, here are some benefits of using an air fryer that might persuade you to do so.
- Low calorie—Air frying food instead of frying it in oil can cut calories by up to 80%, because you’re using less oil, grease, and fat.
- Fewer compounds—Air frying your food may also help lower the amount of acrylamide content, which is a compound that can be created by frying foods. This compound is classified as a carcinogen, meaning it may be linked to cancer. (1)
- Tastier food—Honestly, eating clean just tastes better, and you’ll feel great knowing that you’re serving up your family a healthy dish they’ll actually enjoy.
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips Dipping Sauce
In this recipe, you’ll also find a creamy, delicious, low-calorie garlic aioli dipping sauce, that pairs perfectly with not only zucchini chips, but any veggie that could use a tasty boost. I’ve also added a scoop of unflavored Super Youth collagen to this dip, so you’re eating healthy and keeping your skin young and refreshed at the same time. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ cup almond flour or Panko/Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- Aioli Dip:
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 scoop Super Youth collagen, unflavored
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne and salt
- Cut the zucchini into discs (like chips) or in half and into sticks (like fries fries).
- In a shallow bowl, combine the almond flour (or bread crumbs), grated parmesan, spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Dredge zucchini in egg and then in the almond flour mixture and place on a plate or baking sheet. Generously spray zucchini with cooking spray.
- Working in batches, place the zucchini fries in a single layer in the air fryer. and Cook for 10 minutes at 400F, or until crispy.
- Garlic Aioli: Add all ingredients in a small bowl, whisk to combine.